Monday, January 14, 2013

ZERO HOUR AT KONNA

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013



TO: HQ, CMD-CTRL+INTEL
FROM: S2, INTEL//AIRWING DIV.
SUBJ: ANSAR RAID ON KONNA, ALGERIA CONNECTION

THE FOLLOWING IS BEING REPORTED @ JEUNE AFRIQUE:
TACTICAL ASPECT OF THE ANSAR AL-DIN RAID IN NORTHERN MALI:

Mali: why jihadists Konna they attack?

RN15 NORTH--"Wednesday, January 9, jihadists in northern Mali have taken over the city Konna, 70 km from Mopti. Two days later, they lost after fierce fighting against the Malian army, supported by French forces. Therefore, the jihadists they decided to embark on such an operation? Answers.

But why Eddine Ansar fighters (led by Iyad Ag Ghali came in person on the ground), the Movement for the uniqueness and jihad (Mujao) and Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) are they pressed the attack? "Because Iyad suspect Bamako to play a double game wants to force the Malian government to really negotiate, Ouagadougou," says Councillor Head of State of West Africa [talks must resume on 21 January, Ed].

Especially Konna is close Sévaré, where the operational headquarters of the Malian army, not far from Mopti. If the airport Sévaré dropped, it would greatly complicate any operation reconquest.





Coup carefully prepared

Jihadists do not make a mistake and have carefully prepared their coup. Early January, several thousand fighters and more than 300 pick-up from Gao and Timbuktu converged on the front line. At the same time, witnesses saw the two arrive in Northern cities several convoys carrying drums of 200 liters of fuel from Bordj Badji Mokhtar, to the Algerian border - all in the space of four days. Comment from another adviser: "Such fuel could not leave the Algerian territory without the approval of Algiers. '



Bamako and Paris have felt the danger. A few hours after the fall of Konna, the French elite troops flown in C-160 and backed by helicopters landed at Sévaré even before Holland responds to the call for help Dioncounda Traoré. These men belong to the special forces stationed including Burkina Faso and Chad. "

THE REPORT INDICATES ALGERIAN COMPLICITY IN THE EFFORT TO PUSH THE FRONT LINES CLOSER TO BAMAKO. THIS MIGHT ALSO EXPLAIN WHY ALGERIA ABRUPTLY CLOSED ITS BORDERS TO MALI YESTERDAY.

OBVIOUSLY THE DESPERATION WAS FELT IN THAT THE TARGETS WERE MORE INDISCRIMINATE THAN EXPECTED RESULTING IN THE CIVILIAN CASUALTIES WHICH INCLUDED CHILDREN DROWNING IN THE RIVER.


THIS IS ALL WE HAVE..

REGARDS,

S2, INTEL----HQ#551 CODE

DIST: TXT, WWW, MOBILE, ANDROID, IPHONE---...
SECURED TRANSMISION

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013

MUJAHEDEEN TACTICAL RETREAT

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013



TO: GROUND OPS//INTEL//MAPPING
FROM: S2, INTEL//FWD OBSV.
SUBJ: QAEDA OUT OF GAO & TIMBUKTU

THE FOLLOWING IS BEING REPORTED @ MALIWEB:

"Gao, one of the main cities in northern Mali fell under the control of jihadists there are more than nine months, has been the subject of intense bombardment by aircraft Rafale Sunday, which killed more than sixty combatants, according estimates of population and a source of regional security.
We are free. We have not seen a single mujahedeen here today. They left the city and heads are hidden, assured a resident reached by phone from Bamako.

In Timbuktu, where no air strike has so far been identified, the conclusion was the same: the mujahedeen are gone, they are really afraid, said a resident of this city's flagship Islamic culture in Africa, registered in World Heritage of Humanity, where jihadists destroyed many mausoleums.
Even fighters who had seized the town of Thursday Konna (center) before being pushed back Friday and had withdrawn Douentza dropped the latter city they controlled since September, 800 km north of Bamako.

They are afraid of airplanes. The last 4 × 4 mujahedeen left the city to 16 hours (GMT), according to a witness.

Spokesman for the Islamist group Ansar Dine (Defenders of Islam), Senda Ould Boumama, it is only a tactical retreat, the execution of a redevelopment plan, according to comments published on the Mauritanian news website Alakhbar (near Mauritanian Islamists).
Our movement's fighters withdrew from cities and from their positions (...) in order to limit the damage from the unarmed civilian populations, he said. "


ALSO BEING REPORTED FROM ALAKHBAR:  (TRANSLATED)

 
SPOKESMAN BORN BO
 
 
"News (Nouakchott) - The spokesman for the movement of supporters of religion that fighters movement evacuated "cities and sites known insurgent tactical", adding that they benefited from the experience of past wars, and adopted the "plan to move according to plan complex and accurate," adding "they wanted to mitigate losses in unarmed civilians. "

The Bo uncle was born in remarks to his control over the news "three military barracks in the area Adjabila after their sentences to control it today," stressing that "the French aviation only intensive day to fly over the region without shelling."

Born Bo accused French uncles targeting civilians in the shelling, saying they had "counted more than a dozen civilians in Mnth Adjabila including children," adding that "Adjabila was the beginning," and vowed "financial surprises to come." As described. "

APPARENTLY THE "THREE MILITARY BARRACKS" WAS THE OBJECTIVE OF THE RAID ON DIABALY (ADJABILA) BY THE ABU ZEID UNITS.


THIS IS ALL WE HAVE..

REGARDS,

S2, INTEL----HQ#551 CODE

DIST: TXT, WWW, MOBILE, ANDROID, IPHONE---...
SECURED TRANSMISION

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013

CANADA TO MALI

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013



TO: COMMAND-CONTROL//FWD
FROM: S2, INTEL//AIRWING DIV.
SUBJ: C-DEF TO SEND C-17

THE FOLLOWING IS BEING REPORTED @ CBC:


Canada sending C-17 transport plane

PRIME MINISTER STEPHEN HARPER:

"We are responding to a request from our French friends for logistical assistance in the form of heavy-lift [aircraft]. I have, in consultation with the minister of national defence and the minister of foreign affiars, granted that assistance for a period of one week,"





"We will obviously after a few days analyze how that is going and talk with our allies, but this is intended to be of a short duration,"

"We think that is an appropriate role for Canada given our relative capacities and interests," he said.

"Ultimately, while I congratulate the French for their intiative, as I think the resolution [2085] of the United Nations Security Council itself has recognized, there really has to be significant African participation and African-led participation to make such a mission successful,"

"The government of Canada is not considering a direct Canadian military mission,"

"Obviously, we are providing humanitarian aid to this region, which is important. And we are consulting with, and working with, and will continue diplomatically with, our allies in the west, and obviously with our friends in Africa, on ways that we can be of assistance."

"The development of essentially an entire terrorist region in the middle of Africa is obviously of great concern to everyone in the international community,"



THIS IS ALL WE HAVE..

REGARDS,

S2, INTEL----HQ#551 CODE

DIST: TXT, WWW, MOBILE, ANDROID, IPHONE---...
SECURED TRANSMISION

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013

ABU ZEID FORCE 001 TO DIABALY

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013



TO: FWD OBSERVER 001A
FROM: S2, INTEL//MILITARY BUREAU
SUBJ: REBEL FORCE 001 ON THE MARCH TO SEGOU

THE FOLLOWING IS BEING REPORTED BY AFP ON MALIJET:
PAVED ROAD NORTH OF SEGOU--

"The attack on Diabali was led by Abu Zeid, one of the leaders of Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), according to a regional security. The French minister said that "terrorist groups" are "heavily armed", "very determined" and "very organized."






Taking Diabali by jihadists despite French intervention that bombards four days their columns and positions, was announced to AFP by an elected city.
Islamists are in the city of Diabali. There are many. This morning, they exchanged fire with the Malian military and the shooting stopped and the Islamists entered the city, he said, after requesting anonymity.
Islamist fighters are led by one of the leaders of Al-Qaeda in the Maghreb (AQIM), a source of regional security.
Abu Zeid, one of AQIM leaders, directs operations itself. He and his men left the Mauritanian border, to prevent raids by French aircraft, the source said.

Islamist positions Nampala, about fifty kilometers Diabali and a jihadist training camp in Lere, near Mauritania, have been particularly targeted by airstrikes Sunday French.

THIS IS ALL WE HAVE..

REGARDS,

S2, INTEL----HQ#551 CODE

DIST: TXT, WWW, MOBILE, ANDROID, IPHONE---...
SECURED TRANSMISION

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013

MALI ARMY DESERTS DIABALY BASE

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013



TO: FWD OBSERVER 001A
FROM: S2, INTEL//MILITARY BUREAU
SUBJ: REBEL FORCE 001 ON THE MARCH TO SEGOU




THE FOLLOWING IS BEING REPORTED BY ASSOCIATED PRESS CORRESPONDENTS RUKMINI CALLIMACHI AND BABA AHMED:


PAVED ROAD NORTH OF SEGOU--

"Early Monday, the al-Qaida-linked extremists cut off the road leading to the garrison town of Diabaly. By afternoon they succeeded in overrunning the town and overtaking the military base, located around 160 kilometers (100 miles) north of Segou, the administrative capital of central Mali, France's Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said on Monday. The French Embassy in Bamako immediately ordered the evacuation of the roughly 60 French nationals in the region of Segou, said a French citizen who insisted on anonymity out of fear for her safety.





He explained that the rebels had reached Diabaly from the east, infiltrating the rice-growing region of Alatona, which until recently was the site of a large U.S.-funded Millenium Challenge Corporation project. French aircraft bombed a rebel convoy located 40 kilometers from Diabaly late Sunday night, the commander said. "This morning we woke up and realized that the enemy was still there. They cut off the road to Diabaly. We are truly surprised — astonished," he said.
What is unclear is what happened to the Malian troops based at the military camp in Diabaly. The commander said that since the Islamists seized the town, he had not been able to reach any of the officers at the base.

An adviser to the president of Ivory Coast, who could not be named because he was not authorized to speak publicly, said that President Alassane Ouattara had authorized a contingent of Ivorian troops to enter Mali, and head to Segou. "They are going to quickly encircle them," said the official.
However, the French national who was being evacuated on Monday from Segou said that the email she had received from the French Embassy indicated that small groups of rebel fighters were heading to Segou from Diabaly.


THIS IS ALL WE HAVE..

REGARDS,

S2, INTEL

DIST: TXT, WWW, MOBILE, ANDROID, IPHONE---...
SECURED TRANSMISION

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013

REBEL FORCE OO1 TO DIABALI

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013



TO: INTEL DIV.;..HQ& CODE 551
FROM: S2, INTEL//MILITARY BUREAU
SUBJ: RECON IMAGES, DIABALI ENGAGEMENT

BELOW FIND FIRST PHOTOS OF THE REBEL INCURSION INTO DIABALI. APPARENTLY THE ARMED GANG, FOR LACK OF POSITIVE I.D., CALLED "REBEL FORCE 001."  PHOTOS INDICATE THE MANEUVER WAS ON A SMALL TACTICAL BASIS AND NOT TO BE CONSIDERED A MAJOR OFFENSIVE.

OBVIOUSLY, IT WAS MEANT TO MAKE HEADLINES AS THE TOWN, DIABALY, ITSELF HOLDS NO MAJOR TACTICAL SIGNIFIGANCE AND NO SUBSTANTIVE IMAGERY OF THE PURPORTED "MILITARY CAMP" IN THE TOWN BEING OVERRUN AND WEAPONS SEIZED.

PHOTO 001: TAOR NORTHWEST, MALI COMPONENTS UNK.



PHOTO 002: MOVEMENT//UNIDENTIFIED VEHICLES IN TAOR



PHOTO 003: MUSTERING//UNIDENTIFIED VEHICLES IN TAOR



PHOTO 004: THE WARLORD 001/LONG//



PHOTO 005: THE WARLORD 002/ZOOM//



THIS IS ALL WE HAVE..

VEHICLES REVEAL LIGHT ANTI-AIRCRAFT AND MACHINE GUN MOUNTS IN BED OF TECHNICALS...

MORE FOLLOWING..ASAP.....CODE HQ&551


REGARDS,

S2, INTEL

DIST: TXT, WWW, MOBILE, ANDROID, IPHONE---...
SECURED TRANSMISION

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013

BATTLEFIELD MOMENTUM

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013



TO: FWD OBSERVER 001A
FROM: S2, INTEL//MILITARY BUREAU
SUBJ: TACTICAL#01/14/13/0800 ADD

FOLLOWING FROM LATEST REUTERS REPORT ON ATTACK AT DIABALI:

"Launching a counter-attack far to the southwest of recent fighting, Islamists dislodged government forces from the town of Diabaly, just 350 km (220 miles) northeast of Bamako. French and Malian troops attempting to retake the town were battling Islamists shouting 'Allahu akbar', residents said.

The rebels infiltrated the town overnight from the porous border region with Mauritania, home to AQIM camps housing well-equipped and trained foreign fighters."

THERE IS NO MENTION OF WHO SPECIFICALLY ATTACKED THE TOWN SINCE NO PRISONERS WERE TAKEN. EARLIER REPORTS INDICATED NO FRENCH ARMY PERSONNEL WERE INVOLVED AND SINCE THE TOWN IS 250 MILES NORTH OF THE CAPITAL, IT IS UNCLEAR WHERE THE FRENCH WERE STATIONED TO BE ABLE TO RESPOND, OR HOW MANY FRENCH UNITS WERE INVOLVED.

REUTERS GOES ON TO SAY:

"We knew that there would be a counter-attack in the west because that is where the most determined, the most organised and fanatical elements are," French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told France's BFM TV."

THE USUAL WARNINGS FROM EXTREMIST GROUPS ABOUT THIS BEING ANOTHER AFGHANISTAN IS ECHOED IN THE REUTERS REPORT AND THERE IS NO CLEAR INTERPRETATION OF THIS. ACTION ALWAYS SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WORDS AND THE OVERALL MOMENTUM ON THE BATTLEFIELD STILL APPEARS TO BE WITH THE COMBINED GOVERNMENT-FRENCH FORCES.

THIS IS ALL WE HAVE..

REGARDS,

S2, INTEL

DIST: TXT, WWW, MOBILE, ANDROID, IPHONE---...
SECURED TRANSMISION

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013

TACTICAL UPDATE#01/14/13/0800

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013



TO: BENGHAZI POST
FROM: S2, INTEL//MILITARY BUREAU
SUBJ: REBELS SEIZE NORTHERN OUTPOST

NEWS AGENCIES REPORTING THAT ARMED GROUP, IDENTIFIED ONLY AS "REBELS" HAVE TAKEN AN INSIGNIFICANT VILLAGE IN THE NORTH ALONG THE BORDER WITH MAURITANIA KNOWN AS "DIABALI"; WITH VARIANT SPELLING OF "DIABAL" AND "DIABALY".








THE RURAL TOWN APPEARS TO HAVE NO SIGNIFICANT TACTICAL OR MILITARY VALUE. LOCAL DEFENSE SPOKESMEN HAVE INDICATED THAT THE MALIAN ARMY WAS INSUFFICIENTLY EQUIPPED TO FEND OFF THE INCURSION AND SEIZURE OF THE VILLAGE BUT THAT SEEMS TO BE THE NORM FOR THE MALIAN ARMY.

IT APPEARS THE ARMY DOES NOT HAVE THE WILL TO FIGHT. IT ALSO APPEARS THAT THERE IS NO COMMAND-CONTROL TO CO-ORDINATE AIR SUPPORT FOR ATTACKS OF THESE TYPES SPREAD OUT OVER A LARGE REGION.

THE ARMED THUGS OBVIOUSLY INFILTRATE THE TOWNS THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT IN SMALL GROUPS AND CONFRONT THE MILITARY TASKED WITH SECURITY .

IT IS UNCLEAR IF THE ARMED GROUP SUSTAINED CASUALTIES, IF PRISONERS WERE TAKEN IN ORDER TO ASCERTAIN THE GROUP'S CONNECTION TO THE INSURGENCY; IT IS ALSO UNCLEAR IOF ANY WEAPONS WERE OBTAINED BY THE INSURGENTS FROM A NEARBY MILITARY OUTPOST OR FROM THE RETREATING MALIAN ARMY.


THIS IS ALL WE HAVE..

REGARDS,

S2, INTEL

DIST: TXT, WWW, MOBILE, ANDROID, IPHONE---...
SECURED TRANSMISION

MILITARY BUREAU: S-2 , INTEL DIV.
CLASSIFIED REPORT: EYES ONLY......JAN 14, 2013